Thursday 2 August 2007

Scarily Enough


Scarily enough, I think I’m starting to get it. Reasoning that completely escaped me just four short weeks ago has become seamlessly woven into my consciousness.

I understand that it can take six hours to pack a bag, be picked up from a hotel, and be transported to another location just 15 minutes away.

I’ve caught myself surveying peaks at least 3,000 metres above sea level and categorising them as hills.

I embrace the fact that a chocolate bar costs the same as a curry, naan bread and a drink or the tailoring of both a shirt and pants or a 20 minute taxi ride or a handwoven bamboo floor mat.

I recognise that there are approximately a gazillion meanings of the word “hajur” and it’s unlikely I will ever fully understand them.

I have come to terms with shopkeepers who try to extort huge amounts of money from “the badeshi” and then burst out laughing when they are caught.

I know the true meaning of feeling outrageously happy on a sweltering, sunny day, because despite the flies and sweat, it means a hot shower.

And most tellingly of all, I accept that there really is no plug in the entirety of Nepal that will fit my kitchen sink.

I’m not sure what this will mean for my eventual assimilation back into life in Australia, but it definitely makes life in Nepal more relaxing!

No comments: