Thursday 2 August 2007

Justice for Some


Today I saw an emaciated man lying naked on the footpath, writhing around in the dirt.

What does it mean to all the people that stepped around him, getting on with their business? What does it mean to a country at war for 10 years to fight for social justice? What does it mean to me, the Badeshi, driving along in all my white glory, seeing it and sighing at it but not letting it interfere with my lunch plans.

Should I have stopped the car? Found some money or food or hope to throw at him? It would have appeased my conscience, which has been piercing me ever since. And maybe it would have meant something to him too: not just the response to the physical need, which must have been extreme, but the difference between the whole world ignoring the agonizing reality that must have triggered that reaction and a member of humanity reaching across an ocean wide divide and connecting with another.

But it’s hard. Nepal has no government funded health and welfare hotline that I’m aware of, few charities with time to spare for one hopeless case. There are so many other very valid causes jostling for attention.

So that leaves it to me – or one of the hundreds of other people who saw that man today. But a real live person, not a department or phone voice, to get dirty and be made afraid and step into that messed up life and do something. Honestly, I don’t know if I have it in me. But I hope one of us does.

2 comments:

Sangam said...

God! You have sharp sense. People in such situations are always neglected. but you have given space in your blog. Great! Thanks.

By the way, you can browse www.bloggers.com.np and submit your blog site to be listed so that all can access you blog easily.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Oh !!!!! What can We do????
But your writing is very good.Keep it up.....Happy Blogging....